Thursday, January 28, 2010

This is another post I did for www.heyrachiekae.com

I posted this last week
I hope you enjoy!


Stirrin' It Up With Stacey

Today I will be sharing a recipe for
Turkey Tetrazzini
This is a something I was really craving and it was an easy casserole to make. I made it for Sunday lunch. I prepared it Saturday afternoon and then I pulled it out of the fridge to come to room temp before we left for church in the morning. I wanted it to heat through quickly when we got home!
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil (You can use vegetable oil if you want to)
6 stalks of celery diced
1 large onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 pkg. fettucini, linguini, or spaghetti noodles
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
4 oz. cream cheese
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 2/3 cup shredded cheese (I used monterey Jack but parmesan would be delicious)
4 cups cooked chicken or turkey breast chopped
1 bag frozen peas and carrots thawed
2 cups bread crumbs

In a large pot bring some water to boil, stir in your noodles and cook until done. Drain, rinse, set aside. Mean while in a pan heat oil and stir in the celery, onion, and garlic, saute until tender.
set aside.
In the pot you used for the pasta, melt the butter stir in the flour and cook until browned. Stir in the broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Reduce the heat to low and Stir in the cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Melt completely. Stir in the chopped chicken or turkey and bag of peas and carrots. Turn off heat.
Grease a 9x13 baking dish and preheat the oven to 375* F. Place a good layer of the cheesy mixture in the bottom of the dish, layer the pasta on top, and then cover in the remaining sauce.
NOTE:This made enough for me to use a 9x13 inch dish and a 9x9 inch dish.
Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs and bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.
I served this with a nice green salad. The kids loved it, the kids' friends loved it. Even the picky ones and my hubby loved it. IT WAS YUMMY! And a great way to use up left over chicken or turkey. I used turkey. Most of the recipes I came across used mushrooms but knowing that I was having guests I left out the mushrooms. People can be funny about mushrooms you know! Especially kids.


I hope you all enjoy this as much as we did and let me know if you decide to try it!
Until next week blessings to you and yours,
Stacey

1 comment:

Melissa Price said...

Stacey, you won the pattern on my blog giveaway! Just send me your address and I'll pop it in the mail on Monday. I hope you enjoy it! :) Melissa

melissasews(at)gmail(dot)com