Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Zax



The Zax
by Dr. Seuss From The Sneetches and Other Stories Copyright 1961 by Theodor S. Geisel and Audrey S. Geisel, renewed 1989.

One day, making tracks
In the prairie of Prax,
Came a North-Going Zax
And a South-Going Zax.
And it happened that both of them came to a place
Where they bumped. There they stood.
Foot to foot. Face to face.

"Look here, now!" the North-Going Zax said, "I say!
You are blocking my path. You are right in my way.
I'm a North-Going Zax and I always go north.
Get out of my way, now, and let me go forth!"
"Who's in whose way?" snapped the South-Going Zax.
"I always go south, making south-going tracks.
So you're in MY way! And I ask you to move
And let me go south in my south-going groove."

Then the North-Going Zax puffed his chest up with pride.
"I never," he said, "take a step to one side.
And I'll prove to you that I won't change my ways
If I have to keep standing here fifty-nine days!"
"And I'll prove to YOU," yelled the South-Going Zax,
"That I can stand here in the prairie of Prax
For fifty-nine years! For I live by a rule
That I learned as a boy back in South-Going School.
Never budge! That's my rule. Never budge in the least!
Not an inch to the west! Not an inch to the east!
I'll stay here, not budging! I can and I will
If it makes you and me and the whole world stand still!"

Well...
Of course the world didn't stand still. The world grew.
In a couple of years, the new highway came through
And they built it right over those two stubborn Zax
And left them there, standing un-budged in their tracks.

*****Sad, yes, But those Zax chose not to budge..... I would much rather budge than to be stuck living under a bridge...... They had each other there but it must have been a lonely place all the same. They never became friends. And that is a shame!

yesterday I posted (moving on) but I deleted that post 2 min. later, it was not a good morning for posting so if in error you happened to receive that post I would ask you to disregard it. Today is a great day for posting! I have learned a lesson however. Emotional blogging is not helpful to anyone, least of all me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the wisdom of Dr. Seuss!!
-Stacie

Fisher Family said...

Oh I'm all about emotional blogging. And even worse emotional emails. It does nobody good; and I've been known to delete an emotional blog.

I love how you used Dr. Seuss' The Zax. It couldn't have been more perfect. I think I'm going to invest in the book and use it as my own personal therapy.

You are such a great example of a christian woman, Stac. I love you to pieces. Count Savannah and I both in at your girls night out next week; I'm having discovery diva withdrawals. :)