Saturday, April 28, 2012

Reclaimed Chairs

Recently On a visit over to Justin's Parent's house, I caught a glimpse of some old chairs in the yard. And I commented on how cool they were. J's dad told me I could have them if I wanted to fix them up. Boy was I excited!!!!  He also told me that he rescued them from a garbage pile on the side of the road, he just could not see them going to waste.  I am so glad he grabbed those babies, and brought them home. 

I have been waiting for nice weather so I could get started. 

Today was the day! 

BEFORE 

I was a little bit intimidated to start these chairs, I made my husband help me choose the fabric, and he was very patient with me. I knew I wanted to paint them, but I needed to know what fabric I was going to go with first and then I would match the paint. I first started out by removing the wood seat base. It had 4 little screws holding it on. Next I took a wire brush to the whole chair, knocking off any loose paint, dirt or rust. After that I washed them down with warm soapy water and hosed them off, and let them sit in the sun to dry. 

Meanwhile I took the wire brush to the wood and removed any spider nests, old staples and dirt. I also cut the square foam chair pads in a circle the same size as the wooden base.  And I cut the fabric in a large circle 5 inches wider  on all sides than my circle of foam.  

When the chairs were dry I went out and sprayed them with a Rustoleum double coat paint in *Lagoon. I knew It would never have a smooth finish due to the missing paint and what not, but I think it adds to the rustic quality. So with that in mind I sprayed the chairs trying to make sure I did not have runs in the paint but not caring if the finish was perfect. 

While the paint was drying I finished the cushions. I centered my foam on the face down fabric, placed the wooden base on top of that and started stapling the fabric on. Making sure to work around the piece on opposite sides. I stapled the first side and then stapled directly across from that. Then I worked my way around. I wish I had pictures to share of the process but I was in the zone.  

Lastly I screwed the chair seats to the chair. 



AFTER




I spent about $28 to refurbish these chairs. 
With all of my Joann's coupons and sales. 
The outdoor UV fabric was $14
Seat Cushion foam was $10
Spray paint was $4

I am so happy with how these turned out. 
They are super comfortable and have a beautiful shape.
 I just wish they weren't so heavy.

6 comments:

Davene Grace said...

Wow - you did a great job! Those chairs are so unique; I don't think I've ever seen any like them. Are the backs really as high as they look in the pictures?

Charlotte said...

What a great find! They are super cute!

Fisher Family said...

so cute! and so very proud!!! These should show up on Pinterest. :) Good Job Stacey!

Four Marrs and One Venus said...

Holy Moly you are amazing! These chairs are so fun and funky and dainty and WOW! LOVE THEM! Saw them over at Roadkill Rescue- so happy to have found your great blog! Following your badness now!! LOVE THEM!

abigtadoooverglue said...

These chairs are absolutely fantastic. I have NEVER seen anything like them before. Your color choice was great. It did, indeed, accentuate the uniqueness of the chairs. beautiful !

Anonymous said...

great job! glad i am not the only one that rescues things on the side of the road.i think it's addictive. not only do i have rescued furniture i also have 4 cats and 3 huge rescue dogs! would not take a million for any of them! blessings to you and yours.