Wednesday, February 17, 2010


This was the first time I have ever read a Jane Austen Novel. That being said, I consider myself a very good reader, quick too. But, I really struggled with this book! I know it was the language of the era. I just had the hardest time getting through it. The Style it is written in, was also a challenge. Come on Jane Austen, a 110 word run on sentence...Your killing me here. I loved the insights that the editors placed in the sidebar. It really helped me to understand the culture and the characters. If you are going to read Jane Austen for the first time I would recommend the insight edition. This book was provided to me through the Bethany House Publishers to review for free.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

I can't ever get into those old classics either. The only one I've made my way through and actually enjoyed was Frankenstein, which surprised me. I only read it because I was in a book club that chose it, and I think I was the only one that liked it.

Lambeth said...

I find Jane Austen hard work, so far removed from life to-day that it seems absolutely unreal. It happens I live in England some 30 miles from the village of Chawton where Jane wrote most of her books, I have also walked on the ground where she walked shortly before she died in Winchester, I have been in the church where her father was rector, even so I cannot relate to the woman. My fault I suppose. Persist, you may get there yet. See my blog Renwickgenes.

janeal said...

I've tried reading Pride and Prejudice several times and haven't been able to get through it yet! Which is funny because I love all the movies made from the books. Especially the 'old fashioned' A&E versions (as opposed to the Kira Knightly version for example!).