Monday, September 5, 2011

It was a sweet read

Recently on one of my trips to the library, I picked up a different kind of book. 
I was kinda desperate for an easy read. Something with a bit of humor and something I could put down and not worry about not getting back to right away.  Well, as it turned out I grabbed this book by Gesine Bullock-Prado. Yes, the sister of Sandra Bullock. I did not realize that at the time however. It wasn't until I was about a quarter of the way through it that I re read the author's name and put it together.   
Cover Image

This book was a great summer read. The only real problem that I had with it, was that it really made me want to bake, and in a bad way. I was desperate to get my hands in the dough of some sweet confection.  One of the recipes she shares is for Zwetschgendatschi or German (Bavarian) plum tart. 
I had purchased some plums a few days before I came upon the recipe. But the kids had eaten one and turned up their noses because they were not very sweet. I ended up letting those little plums sit on the counter for a week and a half before I decided I had time to make a plum tart.  I was very afraid that I had waited too long and my plums were better off as chicken feed. But they seemed to be in good shape if a little soft and juicy. 

I was going to make the recipe from the book but realized at the last minute that I did not have quite enough butter on hand. So I reached for my trusty little Taste Of Home Cookbook. I looked up tarts and right there was another recipe for German Plum Tart, and it used a lot less butter.  I now had enough.  This recipe was super quick and easy. The hardest part was waiting until I could cut into it. 
After all was said and done I had a gorgeous plum tart to take to my meeting that night. And let me tell you it was so YUMMY! 
I think I am addicted to Zwetschgendatschi!
 I thought the short crust would be soggy but it was not,
 and the flavors were so so good together.  

Here is the recipe that I used.
 You can use any kind of stone fruit, peaches, apricots, plums.

 German Plum Tart

6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 pounds plums, quartered (about 4 cups)

Directions

  • In a small bowl, cream butter and 3 tablespoons sugar until light and
  • fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Gradually add flour, 1/4 cup at a time,
  • until mixture forms a soft dough. Press onto the bottom and up the
  • sides of a 10-in. pie plate.
  • Arrange plums, skin side up with edges overlapping, in crust;
  • sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or
  • until crust is golden brown and fruit is tender. Yield: 6-8
  • servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 237 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein

 

No comments: